Each workout should be divided into 5 phases:
- Warm-up = 5-10 minutes
- Light Stretching = 5 minutes
- Resistance = 40-55 minutes
- Cardiovascular & Aerobic Activity = 15-45 minutes
- Cooldown & Stretch = 10-20 minutes
I. The Warm-up
A. Why do we warm-up before exercise?
- To increase body temperature - warms and loosens muscles.
- Guards against muscle, tendon, and ligament strains.
B. How do we warm-up?
- Light Activity
- Cycling, Walking, Jogging, Rowing, etc.
II. Stretching - see stretching diagrams
III. Resistance Training - Weight Bearing Exercise
IV. Cardiovascular & Aerobic Exercise
A. Helps to:
- Make the heart and lungs stronger and healthier
- Increase the endurance for sports.
- Helps to reduce bodyfat.
B. Follow the F.I.T.T. principle
- Frequency = 3 days a week minimum
- Intensity = how hard you are working
- Time = 15 or more minutes of continuous activity for cardiovascular health
- Time = 30 or more minutes for fat burning
- Type = Walking, Cycling, Rowing, etc.
V. Cool-down & Stretch
A. The cool down is as important as the warm-up.
- Light Activity just like the warm-up.
- Prevents Cramping up.
- Helps to clear waste products from muscles.
- Keeps muscles flexible.
B. Cool-down consists of light cardio or aerobic activity followed by stretching.